Configuring IP address is one of the most common tasks for a system administrator. You can use either Static or Dynamic method to configure IP address. Regardless of the methods you choose, you can configure IP address in RHEL 7 using either GUI or CLI interface. In this post, we will explain how to configure static IP address in RHEL 7 using CLI interface. For this, we will use the nmcli command line tool. Let’s configure the following IP address and other TCP/IP settings in RHEL 7 system using the nmcli command line tool.
- Method: Static
- Interface name: eno1777736
- IPv4 address: 192.168.0.1/24
- Default gateway: 192.168.0.100
- DNS server: 192.168.0.100
You may also like:
Step To Configure Static IP Address in RHEL 7 (Linux)
In order to configure the preceding TCP/IP settings using the nmcli command in RHEL 7 system, you need to perform the following steps:
- First, execute the following command and verify the current TCP/IP settings.
#nmcli con show eno1777736| grep ipv4
- In the following figure, you can see that currently no IP address is configured for the eno16777736 interface.
- Next, execute the following commands to set 192.168.0.1/24 as IP address and 192.168.0.100 as the default gateway.
#nmcli con mod eno1777736 ipv4.addresses '192.168.0.1/24 192.168.0.100' #nmcli con mod eno1777736 ipv4.method manual
- Next, execute the following command to 192.168.0.100 as DNS server.
#nmcli con mod eno1777736 ipv4.dns 192.168.0.100
- Next, execute the following commands to enable the eno1777736 interface so the changes can be reflected.
#nmcli con up eno1777736
- Now, you have configured static IP address for your RHEL 7 Linux system. Next, execute the following command to view the IP address and other TCP/IP settings of your system.
#nmcli con show eno1777736 | grep ipv4
- In the following figure, you can see that the appropriate TCP/IP settings are configured on your RHEL 7 system.
That’s all you need to configure static IP address and other TCP/IP settings on your RHEL 7 system. Drop your queries in the comment box if you want something to say us. Do share the article.